Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Spider

The Christmas Spider (very short version)


An old Gaelic folk tale relates the story of the busy housewife who scrubbed and polished her home for the arrival of the Christ child.


On Christmas Eve all was in readiness and the happy family was asleep. The spiders came out from their hiding places and found nowhere to spin their webs, so they climbed into the Christmas tree and festooned it with a silvery web.

To this day, a spider on your Christmas tree means you are truly ready for Christmas.


One of my grandmother's friends gave me this story and taught me a craft to go with it. She taught me how to make a Christmas spider! (out of beads and thin wire)






Above, the pattern for the spider. (Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!)

6 comments:

Undaunted said...

Eeeeeek!! I don't like spiders at all! Even little drawings of them scare me! I have to say that this is the prettiest spider I've ever seen though! :) Well done Queeny!

Leanne Pizio said...

Love her! She is soooooo cute. I will send you the pins so you can wear her.

queencraftygirl said...

Thanks Un D,
Almost all of my friends are scared of them too. But, my mom is more scared of them then all my friends put together. When she sees one on her kitchen counter she screeeeeeams 'EEEEEKKK!!' I think something has gone terribly wrong and rush to the kitchen. I see my mom up on the counter looking down at the helpless spider who is more scared of her then my mom.I shrug my shoulders and leave. Poor spider.

Hi Aunt Leanne,
Thank you! She looks very cute on my desk. I plan to make some more :) I can't wait to get the pins!!

p.s. (Anita taught me how to make the spider)

Love,
Queeny

Jacky said...

I love the Christmas Story... will have to look for a spider for my tree next Christmas now.

You are so clever!

queencraftygirl said...

Thank you very much, Jacky! Yes, Christmas Story is very lovely. I love it too.

Love,
Queencraftygirl

ArtPropelled said...

I'll remember that story the next time I find a spider in the christmas tree. What a beautiful spider...and very clever.